Skip to main content

Python: Memory Conservation Tip: Temporary dbms

A dbm is an on disk hash mapping from strings to strings. The shelve module is a simple wrapper around the anydbm module that takes care of pickling the values. It's nice because it mimics the dict API so well. It's simple and useful. However, one thing that isn't so simple is trying to use a temporary file for the dbm.

The problem is that shelve uses anydb which uses whichdb. When you create a temporary file securely, it hands you an open file handle. There's no secure way to get a temporary file that isn't opened yet. Since the file already exists, whichdb tries to figure out what format it uses. Since it doesn't contain anything yet, you get a big explosion.

The solution is to use a temporary directory. The next question is, how do you make sure that temporary directory gets cleaned up without reams of code? Well, just like with temporary files, you can delete the temporary directory even if your code still has an open file handle referencing a file in the temporary directory. Don't ya just love UNIX ;)

Here's some code:
import os
import shelve
import shutil
from tempfile import mkdtemp

tmpd = mkdtemp('', 'myprogram-')
filename = os.path.join(tmpd, 'mydbm')
dbm = shelve.open(filename, flag='n')
shutil.rmtree(tmpd)
# I can continue to use dbm for as long as I'd like.
On my system, the shelve module ends up using the dbm module which creates two files. Furthermore, my tests end up exercising this code in four different places. Despite all of that, since the tmpd is removed immediately, no matter how fast I type ls -l, I never even see the directory ;)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Nice trick, but it won't work in windows.
jjinux said…
What is this "windows" thing you refer to? ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Drawing Sierpinski's Triangle in Minecraft Using Python

In his keynote at PyCon, Eben Upton, the Executive Director of the Rasberry Pi Foundation, mentioned that not only has Minecraft been ported to the Rasberry Pi, but you can even control it with Python. Since four of my kids are avid Minecraft fans, I figured this might be a good time to teach them to program using Python. So I started yesterday with the goal of programming something cool for Minecraft and then showing it off at the San Francisco Python Meetup in the evening.

The first problem that I faced was that I didn't have a Rasberry Pi. You can't hack Minecraft by just installing the Minecraft client. Speaking of which, I didn't have the Minecraft client installed either ;) My kids always play it on their Nexus 7s. I found an open source Minecraft server called Bukkit that "provides the means to extend the popular Minecraft multiplayer server." Then I found a plugin called RaspberryJuice that implements a subset of the Minecraft Pi modding API for Bukkit s…

Apple: iPad and Emacs

Someone asked my boss's buddy Art Medlar if he was going to buy an iPad. He said, "I figure as soon as it runs Emacs, that will be the sign to buy." I think he was just trying to be funny, but his statement is actually fairly profound.

It's well known that submitting iPhone and iPad applications for sale on Apple's store is a huge pain--even if they're free and open source. Apple is acting as a gatekeeper for what is and isn't allowed on your device. I heard that Apple would never allow a scripting language to be installed on your iPad because it would allow end users to run code that they hadn't verified. (I don't have a reference for this, but if you do, please post it below.) Emacs is mostly written in Emacs Lisp. Per Apple's policy, I don't think it'll ever be possible to run Emacs on the iPad.

Emacs was written by Richard Stallman, and it practically defines the Free Software movement (in a manner of speaking at least). Stal…

JavaScript: Porting from react-css-modules to babel-plugin-react-css-modules (with Less)

I recently found a bug in react-css-modules that prevented me from upgrading react-mobx which prevented us from upgrading to React 16. Then, I found out that react-css-modules is "no longer actively maintained". Hence, whether I wanted to or not, I was kind of forced into moving from react-css-modules to babel-plugin-react-css-modules. Doing the port is mostly straightforward. Once I switched libraries, the rest of the port was basically:
Get ESLint to pass now that react-css-modules is no longer available.Get babel-plugin-react-css-modules working with Less.Get my Karma tests to at least build.Get the Karma tests to pass.Test things thoroughly.Fight off merge conflicts from the rest of engineering every 10 minutes ;) There were a few things that resulted in difficult code changes. That's what the rest of this blog post is about. I don't think you can fix all of these things ahead of time. Just read through them and keep them in mind as you follow the approach above.…