Skip to main content

Vim: Weird OS X (10.5) Problem

I went to check something into Subversion using Vi (i.e. Vim) as my EDITOR, and I got the following:
$ svn ci
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: system('vi svn-commit.tmp') returned 256
Sure enough, even entering Vim and immediately exiting would return a non-zero exit status:
$ vi
$ echo $?
1
I read somewhere that this might be because of a bad plugin. Sure enough, the following fixed it:
cd ~/.vim
mv doc/rails.txt plugin/rails.vim ~/.Trash
Weird.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Are you sure about the EDITOR?

$ env | grep EDITOR
EDITOR=vim

$ which vim
/opt/local/bin/vim
jjinux said…
$ echo $EDITOR
vi
$ which vim
/usr/bin/vim
jjinux said…
(And of course, /usr/bin/vi is just a symlink to /usr/bin/vim.)
Anonymous said…
Thanks, Shannon - had the same problem and removing the rails plugin solved it.

Quite why the rails plugin would affect this is another matter...I initially put it down to a problem with the Leopard vim build as everything was hunky-dory under 10.4.

Now I can go back to doing SVN commits without using the "-m" option :-)
Unknown said…
Why not just export SVN_EDITOR="vim --noplugin" instead of removing your plugins?
jjinux said…
> Why not just export SVN_EDITOR="vim --noplugin" instead of removing your plugins?

Nice idea, although I still think Vim shouldn't be exiting with a non-zero status.
Anonymous said…
You can also have this issue if your ~/.vim or ~/.vimrc directories are symlinks. I found this to be true using Vim 7.2
jjinux said…
Interesting. I have a fuzzy memory of creating a symlink for something like .vimoutliner so that the actual files would exist inside the .vim directory.

Popular posts from this blog

Drawing Sierpinski's Triangle in Minecraft Using Python

In his keynote at PyCon, Eben Upton, the Executive Director of the Rasberry Pi Foundation, mentioned that not only has Minecraft been ported to the Rasberry Pi, but you can even control it with Python. Since four of my kids are avid Minecraft fans, I figured this might be a good time to teach them to program using Python. So I started yesterday with the goal of programming something cool for Minecraft and then showing it off at the San Francisco Python Meetup in the evening.

The first problem that I faced was that I didn't have a Rasberry Pi. You can't hack Minecraft by just installing the Minecraft client. Speaking of which, I didn't have the Minecraft client installed either ;) My kids always play it on their Nexus 7s. I found an open source Minecraft server called Bukkit that "provides the means to extend the popular Minecraft multiplayer server." Then I found a plugin called RaspberryJuice that implements a subset of the Minecraft Pi modding API for Bukkit s…

Apple: iPad and Emacs

Someone asked my boss's buddy Art Medlar if he was going to buy an iPad. He said, "I figure as soon as it runs Emacs, that will be the sign to buy." I think he was just trying to be funny, but his statement is actually fairly profound.

It's well known that submitting iPhone and iPad applications for sale on Apple's store is a huge pain--even if they're free and open source. Apple is acting as a gatekeeper for what is and isn't allowed on your device. I heard that Apple would never allow a scripting language to be installed on your iPad because it would allow end users to run code that they hadn't verified. (I don't have a reference for this, but if you do, please post it below.) Emacs is mostly written in Emacs Lisp. Per Apple's policy, I don't think it'll ever be possible to run Emacs on the iPad.

Emacs was written by Richard Stallman, and it practically defines the Free Software movement (in a manner of speaking at least). Stal…

JavaScript: Porting from react-css-modules to babel-plugin-react-css-modules (with Less)

I recently found a bug in react-css-modules that prevented me from upgrading react-mobx which prevented us from upgrading to React 16. Then, I found out that react-css-modules is "no longer actively maintained". Hence, whether I wanted to or not, I was kind of forced into moving from react-css-modules to babel-plugin-react-css-modules. Doing the port is mostly straightforward. Once I switched libraries, the rest of the port was basically:
Get ESLint to pass now that react-css-modules is no longer available.Get babel-plugin-react-css-modules working with Less.Get my Karma tests to at least build.Get the Karma tests to pass.Test things thoroughly.Fight off merge conflicts from the rest of engineering every 10 minutes ;) There were a few things that resulted in difficult code changes. That's what the rest of this blog post is about. I don't think you can fix all of these things ahead of time. Just read through them and keep them in mind as you follow the approach above.…