I make heavy use of a nicely indented notes file and a TODO file. Until recently, I had never used an outline editor, even though my files were basically outlines. I saw my buddy, Alex Jacobson, using his outline editor, and I decided to try out the one for Vim. Within a couple hours, I was hooked!
Actually, there are several outline plugins for Vim, but I think that VimOutliner is the best.
- It has nice syntax highlighting for the different levels.
- It manages Vim's folding as you would expect.
- It understands how to put a paragraph of text under a heading and how to automatically turn on line wrapping.
- It supports checkboxes, and it's really smart about working with them.
- It supports inter-document linking.
- It has a nice menu, so you don't have to memorize the documentation before getting started.