Skip to main content

MySQL: Encoding Hell

Every once in a while, I end up in this weird place called Encoding Hell, and it takes me about a day to get out of it. Usually it's related to MySQLdb, the MySQL driver for Python; however, this time it was related to URLs.

I was trying to do a MySQL import. I kept getting a lot of warnings, which I usually try to fix. I couldn't even figure out what the warnings were because I was using the mysqlimport tool. After a while, I figured out that if you do the import from within the MySQL shell, you can run "SHOW WARNINGS;".

Anyway, I got a warning like "Incorrect string value: '\xF1os' for column 'category' at row 76997". I traced it back to a URL like "http://www.example.com/themes/keywords/southside%20sure%F1as". That's an ASCII URL, so I couldn't figure out what the problem was.

I had some code that was splitting the URL into two other parts. It used a regex to pull out the parts I wanted, and then it unurlencoded the parts. It turns out that once you unurlencode 'southside%20sure%F1as', you are left with 'southside sure\xf1as'. I tried to .decode('UTF-8') it, but it didn't work. I finally figured out, thanks to Vim's automatic encoding detection, that I needed to .decode('Latin-1') it, and I ended up with 'southside sureñas' (whatever that is).

What's interesting is that I started off with a perfectly fine ASCII URL and ended up with some Latin-1 that I wasn't expecting. That's a good reminder that user-submitted data is pervasively dangerous--those could have been control characters or something.

Comments

rgz said…
In Spanish sureñas is female plural for "southern". Spanish adjectives don't need a filler noun. (for instance "little" by itself functions like "little one") so without context its safe to assume "women" for a regional adjective like "sureñas"

"southside southern women"

I further guess its latin women.
flow said…
there is a related thingie that i have noted even some web frameworks get wrong—the ambiguity in encoding of URLs as sent by the browser. firefox2, for one, likes to send out URLs in the system encoding (or so i guess) where possible and to switch to UTF-8 when not possible.

this is why typing http://example.com/ä will give me http://example.com/%E4 in the browser address bar, but typing http://example.com/äЖ will give me http://example.com/%C3%A4%D0%96 where ä is %C3%A4. neat, eyh? means you have to have at least one fallback encoding scheme ready for when UTF-8 fails.

the nasty thing here is that (1) there is to my knowledge no way for the client to include information about URL encoding used; (2) you can only have one fallback encoding scheme that is activated by UTF-8 decoding failure—schemes like Latin-1 do not have a big chance to throw an exception on string.decode; (3) what fallback scheme to use will depend on the geolocation of the majority of your clients; (4) since URLs are typically rather short pieces of text, a heuristic encoding detection (such as the ones browser employ for web pages) should be difficult to impossible to implement; (5) if the secondary URL encoding is really governed by system settings it may prove exceedingly difficult to testdrive whatever setup you choose.

all told, it's sort of a shame that in 2009 we still have technology that shows erratic %4D%75%6D%62%6F%4A%75%6D%62%6F instead of readable text. this should have been in the past by now.
Wow, awesome comments! Thanks, guys.